Saturday, September 1, 2007

Psalm 119 Part 3 (Verses17-24)

Psalm 119 Part 3
( Verses17-24 )


Psalm 119 is an Alphabetical Acrostic in which each section of 8
verses starts with a letter of the Hebrew alphabet and then the next 8
verses start with the next Hebrew letter in that alphabet.

Verses 17-24
begin with GIMEL the third letter in the Hebrew alphabet.
This section of 8 verses is about spiritual enlightenment
of God Himself, the Psalmist's relationship with God,
and God's judgment upon the proud and erring sinners.

17 ¶ Deal bountifully with thy servant,
that I may live, and keep thy word.
18 ¶ Open thou mine eyes,
that I may behold wondrous things out of thy law.
19 ¶ I am a stranger in the earth:
hide not thy commandments from me.
20 ¶ My soul breaketh for the longing
that it hath unto thy judgments at all times.
21 ¶ Thou hast rebuked the proud that are cursed,
which do err from thy commandments.
22 ¶ Remove from me reproach and contempt;
for I have kept thy testimonies.
23 ¶ Princes also did sit and speak against me:
but thy servant did meditate in thy statutes.
24 ¶ Thy testimonies also are my delight and my counselors.

Now for the verse by verse expository.
17 ¶ Deal bountifully with thy servant, that I may live, and keep thy word.
God does deal with us bountifully, especially since as believers we
are heirs and joint heirs with Jesus Christ.

18 ¶ Open thou mine eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of thy law.
When we repent of our sins and believe in Christ, our spiritual eyes
are opened to the wondrous things of God.

19 ¶ I am a stranger in the earth: hide not thy commandments from me.
A cross-reference is
Psalm 39:12 and states that we are strangers and sojourners.
Hebrews 11 tells us that those that died in faith were strangers and
pilgrims seeking a better country, a heavenly country.
This should also be true of us, that we are looking forward to our
heavenly home to the point that we are strangers to the world's ways.

20 ¶ My soul breaketh for the longing that it hath unto thy judgments at all times.
Our heart should have such intense desires for the Lord's ways that
our heart breaks for God's ways and judgments.


21 ¶ Thou hast rebuked the proud that are cursed, which do err from thy commandments.
22 ¶ Remove from me reproach and contempt; for I have kept thy testimonies.
23 ¶ Princes also did sit and speak against me: but thy servant did meditate in thy statutes.

We see here God's judgment upon the proud and erring sinners, and
that the Psalmist knows God justifies those that serve Him.
Now of course under grace if the proud and erring, believe in Jesus
Christ, humble themselves with repentance, God will reveal His mercy
and grace.

24 ¶ Thy testimonies also are my delight and my counselors.
The testimonies of God, the Word of God, are filled with promises to us believers,
of course God's testimonies are our delight.



Delight thyself also in the LORD;
and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart.
Psalm 37:4

May you delight in the Lord's presence as you worship our
Lord & Saviour Jesus Christ and be blessed in His presence.
Amen!


Though I am not asking questions;
please comment on my lessons or pick what verse
stands out most to you and comment on that verse.

No comments: